Pictured: South Central's teachers designed special shirts for them to wear on the 101st day of school!
Since the 100th day of school was a remote, asynchronous day on Wednesday, February 3, the Canon-McMillan elementary schools celebrated the 101st day of school on Thursday, February 4, 2021. Some, like Hills-Hendersonville Elementary and Muse Elementary even celebrated the 102nd day of school on Friday, February 5, 2021.
The elementary schools had various themes and activities planned for their students as well. Most of them used the theme of 101 Dalmatians. Wylandville Elementary and Hills-Hendersonville Elementary also had some that dressed like they were 101 or 102 years old, depending on which day they celebrated.
In South Central's second grade they completed 101st Day Stations. They had 2 STEM stations: One was to build a structure with 101 cups and the other was to build a Dalmatian with marshmallows (they added spots to the marshmallows with a black marker) and toothpicks. They also completed 101 exercises.
At Wylandville they also did a number of activities with the 101 Dalmatians theme to celebrate 101 days. First grade teacher Mrs. Hammer used a photo to explain the activities. The photo was not created by her and she is not taking credit for it, but some of the activities included:
- Puppy Parachute Challenge - Students used various materials (straws, coffee filters, Dixie cups, yarn, pipe cleaners, paper) to make a parachute for the puppy to land safely. A lot of "I cannot figure it out, this is too hard" but the goal was for the students to persevere!
- Puppy Playground (pictured) - Students made a playground for the puppies. The challenge was to make any sort of playground they would like with materials given.
- Doghouse - Students used legos to make a doghouse that the paper dog could actually fit in.
- Treat or food holder - Students used play-doh to make a bowl of some sort.
- Marshmallow Dalmation - (All students were given permission to touch the marshmallows.) Students used marshmallows and toothpicks, put black dots on marshmallows and made a dog; Mrs. Hammer heard a lot of "I am sticky or I cannot get it to stand" but again, the goal was for the kiddos to do it on their own and complete the challenge of making a dog using the marshmallows, toothpicks, and marker given to them
- Math - Students did a $100 shopping spree
Congratulations to all of our schools on the 101st day of school, all students are 101 days smarter!
Scroll through below for some great pictures from the days that were sent by our teachers.