(Pictured: Maggie Clair prepares to make a state qualifying throw in the shot put competition.)
It was a Big day for the Big Macs at Wednesday's WPIAL Track & Field Championships which were held at Slippery Rock University.
15 girls and 14 boys earned the chance to compete in this prestigious meet:
- The girls won 9 individual and 4 relay medals.
- The boys won 5 individual and 8 relay medals.
- A total of 26 WPIAL medals!
- A total of 16 State qualifiers!
Rose Kuchera won two championships placing first in the high hurdles and 1st in the triple jump. She also placed 5th in the long jump and ran on a relay that finished 3rd. Rose will compete in 3 events at the State meet next week.
Chris Davis also won two championships, taking 1st in both hurdle events. Chris also ran on a second place and a 5th place relay. Chris will run in 3 events at the state meet.
Tyriek Williams qualified for States with a 3rd place finish in the high hurdles. He also won a relay medal and finished 10th in the 100 meter dash.
Jadon Rahman broke the school record in the 800 finishing 5th and making States. Jadon also anchored the 2nd place 4x400 relay that made States.
- Bennett Pidro won 3 medals: 5th in the 100, 8th in the long jump, and 3rd in a relay.
- Maggie Clair made States placing 3rd in the shot put.
- Audrey Karwowski finished 4th in the 800 to make States. She also anchored two relays.
- Elisabeth Franczyk is going to States with a 3rd place finish in the 300 hurdles.
- Jade Viscardi finished 5th in the javelin and Abby Tucker 9th in that same event.
- Jake Egizio was 8th in the 200, 12th in the 100 and ran on 2 medal winning relays.
- Colton Dean won 2 relay medals.
- Bryce Dean was 12th in the 100, 13th in the 200 and won a relay medal.
- Abby Mitrik won a relay medal.
- Olivia Joos was 22nd in the shot put.
- Michael Chambers finished 10th in the pole Vault
- Ibi Bangura was 11th and 19th in the two hurdle events.
- Adaire Settles and Addy Yaeger ran on 2 relays.
- Matt Thomas, Jordan Gasper, Anothony Bellino, and Francisco Rodriguez ran on the 4x800 relay.
Rose, Maggie, Audrey, Elisabeth, Bennett, Bryce, and Abby Mitrik will be competing at States for the girls team.
Chris, Tyriek, Jadon, Jake,and Colton will be running at Shippensburg for the boys team.
Congratulations to the coaching staff and all of these Canon-McMillan student-athletes!